Extend the use of your outdoor space throughout the fallby Kidron Vinyl on 2018-09-15 21:32:57
Now that fall is here and days have grown shorter and cooler, it can be difficult to think about losing the time you enjoyed outside during the warm days and mild evenings of summer. But with a little planning and a few adjustments, fall can be a welcome change and an excellent season for being outdoors. Here are a few ideas for extending the use of your outdoor spaces throughout fall.
- Add lighting options. Fall is a beautiful time to be outdoors, but with the days getting shorter, you may find yourself struggling to get outside before dark—especially during the work week. With the addition of some lighting options, you can enjoy your outdoor space even after the sun goes down. For permanent lighting options for decks, railings, and steps, Kidron Vinyl offers solutions such as LED, recessed, low-voltage, and solar lighting in many different styles. We make these products available in all-inclusive kits that are easy to install for both do-it-yourselfers and contractors. Another fun way to bring lighting to your outdoor living space is to string lights under a patio umbrella, wrap them around deck or porch railings, or hang them from a pergola or similar structure. Even if you don’t have a place to plug in a string of lights, there are options for battery- or solar-operated lights.
- Add a structure such as a gazebo or pavilion. If you have an uncovered deck or patio, you’ve probably realized what a challenge it can be to keep leaves off your patio furniture in the fall. Something as simple as enjoying a meal at the patio table can be a chore if you have to go clean all the leaves and debris off the table and chairs before you can use it. Adding a structure with a roof—such as a gazebo or pavilion—provides a great deal of shelter from leaves, debris, and precipitation.
- Add outdoor curtains to a porch, pavilion, or gazebo. Installing outdoor curtains can help keep some of the cold air at bay, and they add an inviting touch to your outdoor space. Outdoor curtains can also add privacy when needed, or block strong sunlight during certain times of the day.
- Create a space for a cozy backyard fire. There’s no better way to enjoy a cool, crisp autumn evening outdoors than by sitting around a toasty campfire with your family or friends. Creating this type of space can be as simple as adding a portable fire bowl or chiminea and some comfortable outdoor seating options, or as extensive as adding a permanent outdoor fireplace. Keep in mind that different neighborhoods and municipalities may have regulations regarding backyard fires or the types of fireplaces and/or structures you’re permitted to add to your residence, so always make sure you have a clear understanding of what’s allowed before creating this type of space.
- Add cushions, throw pillows, and throw blankets to your patio furniture. Not only do cushions and throw pillows provide comfort and style to your patio furniture, they also add warmth so you can enjoy sitting outdoors comfortably even when the weather cools down. Some cozy throw blankets can help take the bite out of the cool air, especially when paired with a nice warm beverage.
- Stock up on easy-to-make warm beverages. Hot apple cider. Steaming hot cocoa. A calming cup or tea or an invigorating cup of coffee. Having these types of beverages on hand for your family or guests can make time spent outdoors in the fall even more memorable and enjoyable. Although a crockpot brimming with hot cider needs a little advanced planning, it’s easy to make and is a classic fall beverage that can be enjoyed by adults and kids alike. For impromptu options, stock up on instant hot cocoa or hot cider mix or a variety of tea bags. Coffee can be brewed and stored in a carafe, allowing you to bring it outdoors for convenient refills. Investing in a single-serve coffee maker and stocking up on a variety of hot beverage options is also a great way to accommodate each family member’s or guest’s preferences.
- Get up and get some exercise. Just because it’s cooler outside doesn’t mean you automatically have to retire to your favorite recliner until next spring. Even if it feels a bit chilly, sometimes just getting out in your yard and getting some exercise can make a cold day feel a whole lot warmer. If you’re entertaining guests or looking for ways to spend time with your family, outdoor group games such as touch football, corn hole, ladder ball, volleyball or badminton are great ways to spend quality time together while getting exercise.
- Liven the space with cheerful fall decorations and flowers. As summer fades away, so do the lush flowers and vegetation that made your outdoor space so inviting and appealing in the spring and summer. Adding potted fall plants such as mums will brighten your space, which can further be accented with fall decorations such as pumpkins, gourds, corn shocks, or mini straw bales.
If you’re hoping to make improvements that extend the use of your outdoor space, whether it’s by adding lighting options to an existing deck, porch, or patio, or by adding an entirely new structure such as a pavilion or gazebo, give us a call!